We are at [ninja_forms_submission_count form_id=”6″] toward our goal of 4000 petition signatures! Visit our Facebook page for more information about this campaign, and to learn more about how Gwinnett’s current sex ed program is failing our students!
To the Gwinnett Board of Education:
We, the undersigned, as members of the Gwinnett community, join the Gwinnett Citizens for Comprehensive Sex Education to urge you to remove “Choosing the Best” from the Gwinnett School District, and replace it with a comprehensive sex education curriculum that:
- Is science- and evidence-based, medically accurate, and culturally competent
- Is in line with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations for sex education in schools, and with the recommendations of national professional adolescent health and medical societies for sex education in schools, and for effectively reducing sexual risk behavior
- Provides information about the efficacy of abstinence and a full range of FDA-approved methods for contraceptives for the prevention of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STI’s)
- Focuses on reducing sexual risk behavior, increasing responsible behavior, and increasing skills to protect health
- Teaches students about the importance and definition of consent, and teaches skills for communicating and clarifying consent
- Strives to build students’ awareness, confidence, and skills to avoid unwanted intimacy
- Is sensitive to the needs of students and does not shame students who have previously been sexually active, or those who have experienced sexual trauma
- Is inclusive of L.G.B.T.Q.I.A+ students and does not reinforce outdated rules of gender identity
- Is values-neutral, teaches respect for and acceptance of all students, respects cultural norms and differences and the role of religious faith, and recognizes the diversity of beliefs in our community
- Understands that parents are the ones responsible for establishing sexual health values with their children, and provides opportunities for parental communication and involvement
- Is transparent and accountable to parents—parents have the right to know the details of what will be covered, and how it will be presented, so that they can make an informed decision about whether their child will participate.
After filling out the form, type your full name and click the button at the bottom of the page.
Information entered into this form can only be seen by the parents and alumni working on this campaign. Your information will not be sold, shared, put on mailing lists, or used for any purpose other than to show the Gwinnett County School Board that voters in their districts care about this issue.